Controls at GE are used in power generation, transportation, healthcare, industrial automation and other areas to achieve desired output objectives by manipulating the inputs to a system. These objectives range from controlling seemingly mundane internal variables to optimizing system output efficiency and economics. Integrating control algorithms and hardware allows us to address our customers’ needs and form the foundations for new services that leverage the Industrial Internet to optimize assets and operation.
Robotics technology at GE focuses on building computer systems that can control, sense and process information obtained by robots. Using robots to automate routine tasks can increase efficiency and generate more reliable outcomes and fewer errors. It also frees up workers to handle tasks that require a higher level of human interaction. For example, GE researchers are exploring the use of a robotic-enabled system to carry out the sterile processing of surgical tools in hospitals.
This emerging manufacturing technology is an additive way to make parts. It involves spraying metal powders to construct new parts or add material to rejuvenate existing parts. 3D painting reduces manufacturing costs by increasing the efficiency of building new parts and extending the life of existing parts that would otherwise by scrapped.
These machines use a massive number of processors to handle incredibly complex calculations. They allow researchers to visualize intricate scenarios not possible any other way, and help speed up innovation and technology progression by months or years, in many cases. GE technologists partner with U.S. national labs on supercomputing experiments to study things like the spray pattern inside a fuel injector and air flow around a wind turbine blade.
Areas of Research Concentration
- Manufacturing & Materials Technology develops high-performance components and manufacturing processes
- Aero-Thermal Mechanical Systems focuses on solving the world’s toughest energy problems, primarily by developing advanced aircraft engines, steam and gas turbines, locomotives, next-generation renewable power and advanced models
- Chemistry & Chemical Engineering gains insights into chemical compositions and material properties that enable a broad spectrum of innovations, including energy storage, water treatment and disease diagnosis
- Diagnostics & Biomedical Technologies provides groundbreaking diagnostic and patient monitoring solutions to physicians for improving patient care and increasing healthcare system efficiency
- Electrical Technologies & Systems applies deep electrical domain expertise to develop applications supporting renewable power generation, grid technologies, electric drives, power distribution and controls
- Software Sciences & Analytics brings together knowledge of data, analytics and computing to create advanced decision-making tools and software systems
- Advanced Technologies works on GE’s longest-range, highest-impact research endeavors