This discipline focuses on the development and improvement of composite machinery and advanced manufacturing and processes technology to support GE Energy, Aviation and Oil & Gas. Researchers use fiber placement and filament winding machinery, as well as infusion technique, to support pre-production and production of large and sub scale composite carbon and glass components. Researchers also work on introducing new material systems, machinery, process automation and integration of control systems and sensing to develop prototype and subscale testing in collaboration with experimental facilities.
Diagnostics & Biomedical Technologies
Our scientists work to understand the underlying principles and improve applications for clinical use in diagnostic imaging, including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), ultrasound (US), computer tomography (CT) and x-ray. The work is largely conducted with counterparts at GE Healthcare or other GE Global Research locations, as well as academic partners. Research focus varies from immediate needs to future technologies, and makes use of state-of-the-art equipment in phase-contrast x-ray imaging, ultrasound systems, parallel transmit-and-receive 3 Tesla MR scanning and HyperSense® DNP polarizing.
Aerodynamics & Acoustics
Focusing on the development of technologies and design tools related to wind energy and turbomachinery, Aerodynamics and Acoustics research frequently supports GE Energy and Aviation. The research ranges from fundamental to fully applied, from close-to-product to far out, and employing experiments, theoretical approaches and simulations from laptops to Tier-0 supercomputers.
Tapping deep expertise in the electrical realm, ranging from nanofabrication, semiconductors, microelectromechanical and microfluidic systems, sensors and electronic devices to electronics packaging, signal electronics, controls and automation systems, communications, electronic power conversion, rotating electrical machines and electrical power systems.
Areas of Research Concentration
- Energy: wind turbines and solar photovoltaics; thermal power plants and carbon-capture technologies; electrical machines and components; grid integration; system analysis and optimization; power conversion, transmission and distribution; heat-recovery solutions
- Oil & Gas: centrifugal compressor technology, including turbo machinery aerodynamics and thermodynamics; electrical drives and controls
- Electrical Systems and Electronics: embedded systems and ASIC design; mechatronics and robotics; drive trains for renewable and hybrid applications; controls strategies; system integration and modeling
- Reciprocating Engines: gas- and diesel-engine technologies covering ignition, combustion, materials and thermal analysis, tribology, turbocharging and gas-exchange, and fuel and exhaust treatment processes
- Healthcare: diagnostic imaging involving high-field magnetic resonance methods (MRI); metabolic imaging biomarkers; phase-contrast X-Ray; critical-care systems
- Manufacturing: automated manufacturing of large-scale components for application in the aviation, oil and gas, and power-generation industries
- Aviation: turbine and compressor aerodynamics, combustion aero design, thermal management and fire safety, and performance and operability for commercial aircraft engines and aero derivatives for marine and industrial applications