Visit the Careers page to search and apply for Global Research jobs in Bangalore. We also welcome robust participation in our work from a range of science and technology students. Find out more about Edison Internships and the Edison Engineering Development Program.
Lullaby Phototherapy System
This unique device treats indirect hyperbilirubinemia (neonatal jaundice) in newborns by delivering high-intensity phototherapy from light-emitting diodes (LED). LEDs provide blue light at the optimum wavelength to maximize bilirubin metabolism among the 80% of pre-term and 60% of full-term infants affected by this potentially hazardous condition. The Lullaby breaks down bilirubin 28% faster than conventional treatments, while the LEDs last 50 times longer and consume 80% less power than traditional compact fluorescent lamps.
Battery Storage Integrated Wind Turbines
Integrating batteries into wind turbines helps wind farm operators benefit from energy storage without incurring the high costs of farm-level battery installation. This revolutionary configuration integrates battery technology with three software applications. The resulting system enables the turbines and power producers to make data-informed decisions and provide reliable, stable, predictable power in the short term.
The first of its kind developed for freight and passenger transport in the Southeast Asian market, this locomotive meets challenging infrastructure requirements, including stringent clearance and a 15-ton-per-axle weight limit. For comparison, U.S. locomotives carry 30 tons per axle, while those in Commonwealth countries weigh in at 22.5 tons per axle. The Indo-Java Locomotive’s successful completion of the region’s longest, heaviest haulage earned GE an order for 50 units beyond the initial 100-unit, 1-year delivery.
Using both gas and steam turbines to generate electricity, the FlexEfficiency 60 combined cycle power plant delivers as much as 61% of the fuels’ energy into the grid as electricity, even at a low electricity output. This flexible, efficient technology generates electricity from natural gas and from steam generated by the gas turbine’s exhaust heat. Like a faucet, it can quickly and efficiently scale the amount of electricity it pumps into the grid, helping utilities stabilize power drawn from renewable sources such as wind farms and solar plants.
Areas of Research Concentration
- Corrosion studies, industrial wastewater treatment and engineering analytics
- Conceptual and mechanical design for CO2 compression in carbon capture and sequestration
- Thermomechanical compressor design for applications from boil-off gas to advanced adiabatic compressed air
- Higher-efficiency and environmentally friendly energy solutions, including fuel flexibility for gas turbines and Jenbacher engines, steam retrofit solutions, small oil and gas compressors and low-wind turbines
- Advanced engineering analysis, material application development and product innovation
- Designing low-voltage distribution and control products for the Indian market and for export
- Development of high-power locomotives through technology enhancements and systems upgrades
- Providing medical system products and services for CT, MR, molecular imaging, vascular, ultrasound, nuclear, x-ray, healthcare and patient monitoring
- Design of commercial aircraft engines and aero derivative engines by analysis of advanced engineering simulations and tools
- Development of an advanced compressor, TAPS II combustor and turbine as part of eCore technologies for the LEAPx, NG34 and TechX next-generation engines